HIV/AIDS Prevention & Support Volunteering in Tanzania
The HIV/AIDS Prevention & Support project aims to provide sexual and reproductive health education to citizens in Tanzania. In 2009, Unicef estimated that about 1.5 million Tanzanians of all ages were living with HIV/AIDS. Volunteers are urgently needed to educate Tanzanians on the causes, effects and prevention of HIV/AIDS and to provide support to those who are already infected.
No specific qualifications or prior experiences are required to volunteer on the HIV/AIDS Awareness Project in Tanzania. However, you should have a passion for helping others, a genuine interest in disease prevention, patience, and compassion. You should also be flexible and have the desire to learn and serve people of a new culture.
Each volunteer working on the HIV/AIDS Prevention & Support Project in Tanzania will participate in a wide range of activities, depending on individual skills and interests and the needs of local organizations. Activities may include:
- Preparing materials for educating communities about HIV/AIDS
- Educating locals about the causes, effects and prevention of HIV/AIDS
- Counseling infected patients
- Working with community groups
- Helping to provide medication to fight health concerns such as fevers, coughing, diarrhea, etc.
- Leading and participating in community support groups
- Supporting and caring for infected families with basic necessities
- Maintaining and constructing clinics
Room & Board
Your project fee for projects in Tanzania covers your room and full board in the NGO’s volunteer hostel or with a local host family.
- Shared, single-sex dorm rooms (2-4 volunteers per room) with shared washroom
- 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch, & dinner)
- Hot water is usually available (not guaranteed in host family homes)
- Orientation and 24/7 local support
As with all GOAT Volunteer projects, there are 2 primary fees associated with volunteering: the application fee paid to GOAT and the project fee paid directly to the NGO after they accept your application.
|Additional weeks (each)||$150|
Included: Airport arrival transport • Orientation on arrival • Shared accommodation in the volunteer hostel / home-stay • 3 meals per day • 24/7 local staff support • Project Donation
NOT Included: Flights • Visas • Vaccinations • Travel insurance • Local transport • Return airport transfer • Personal expenses • Bank/wire transfer fees • WiFi / Internet access
All projects incur a $250 application fee. Please see the The Fine Print page for more information.
Special Considerations | HIV/AIDS Prevention & Support Volunteering in Tanzania
For special considerations regarding the project in Tanzania, please visit the Tanzania page.
Criminal Record Check
GOAT Volunteers requires a criminal record (background) check for all projects working with children. Inquire with your local police department to see if they offer this service (many do for free or a small fee). U.S. citizens can visit the U.S. Department of State website for additional information.
The criminal record check must be submitted to GOAT Volunteers after the prospective volunteer’s application is accepted and at least 30 days prior to the project start date.