Volunteer Teacher Needed on Rural Island in Uganda
We are currently looking for a qualified and open-minded teacher to support our partner school on a remote island in Lake Victoria, Uganda. This individual must be willing to commit for one year minimum.
- Teach small classes (no more than 8 students at a time, often only 3-6)
- Children aged 6-14 (Primary 1 to Primary 7)
- Prepare the older students for the national primary leaving examinations (we provide the curriculum and teaching resources, and the other teachers are there to help you)
- Primary Level Mathematics, English, Social Studies and Science
- There is plenty of room for extracurricular activities, depending on your skills and interests (e.g. lead a school-garden-work-group, coach the school’s sports team, start a choir… the options are endless)
- A small, personal school (approx. 40 children total), giving you the chance to get to know your students properly
- Focused on a formal and open-minded education in a very informal and personal environment
- While we have to teach according the curriculum, we put a great focus on additional, informal education
- A great learning environment set in a natural paradise
- The most amazing, curious and energetic children!
This is a rural camp on a remote island in Uganda. The right candidate will be someone comfortable with living in comfortable, but basic, conditions. Must be physically capable of living and working outdoors among the elements.
Food and lodging are provided at no cost to the selected candidate. Personal items, airfare, insurance, safaris, etc. are not included. You can find out more about Uganda and the Uganda volunteer teaching project on their individual pages.
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter (informal is fine, don’t stress over it) and copy of your resume / CV to [email protected] with the subject line: UGANDA TEACHER.